Tuesday, November 5, 2013

DIY Snowman Christmas Ornaments


These darling Christmas ornaments are such fun to make and they would make AWESOME Christmas gifts for teachers and friends. They are made out of recycled bottle caps. These snowmen will be a great addition to any tree. They are also a great treat to add to the Holiday fun of making your own Christmas ornaments. 

You can see us make these cool snowmen by watching our "How To" video. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is what you will need:

Bottle Caps
White Spray Paint
Orange and Black Markers
Black Felt
Small Twigs
Thin Black Ribbon
Glue Gun
Yarn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first thing that I do is make a scarf by crocheting with a chain stitch. I make it about 5 1/2 inches long. If you do not have a crochet hook, I show you in the video how you can do this with only your fingers. :)


I put all of my bottle caps onto an old feed bag and then spray painted them with white spray paint. I gave them a generous coat. After they dried, I flipped them over and sprayed the other side. I gave them 2 coats of paint but you may be able to get away with 1 coat.

The next thing I do is lay 3 bottle caps down on the table in a row. I cut my ribbon to about 6 1/2 inches long. Then I get my hot glue gun and put a line of glue down the center of each of the caps. I place the ribbon on top of the glue and then make a loop at the top of my snowman. I put another dot of glue to hold the loop in place. This will give you a way to hang your snowman on the tree. 

The next thing I do is put a dot of glue between each of the bottle caps and glue the bottle caps together. This will make your snowman one piece and it wont flop around.

I lay my snowman down and I draw the eyes mouth and buttons on the snowman with black. Then I draw an orange carrot nose. I also get the snowman's scarf and glue it around his neck. I put my scarf off to the side so it does not cover up the cute buttons. :)

I cut out a top hat with my black felt. You can make your top hat any color you want but I liked the black the best. Then I put a line of glue on the top hat and glue it to the snowman's head.

The last thing that we do is to glue the arms onto the snowman. I use small twigs that I cut off of a tree in my yard. I laid the snowman down and glued the twig onto the middle bottle cap across the back of the snowman.
I was asked on our YouTube video comments if we can do this same thing with plastic lids so I decided to give it a try. I made these two little sweeties (down below) out of gallon jug lids. I used fine sand paper to lightly scratch up the front of the lids to be sure that the paint stuck to the plastic. It did a great job. The glue may pull off the paint if you make a mistake so be careful to go light on the glue when you are using it to glue the lids together or putting the scarf on. Here is a picture of how mine turned out. :)
We hope you enjoy making these adorable snowmen as much as we did. Thanks for stopping by!
Merry Christmas!! 

EASYMEWORLD YOUTUBE CHANNEL:  

Don't forget to watch our "How To" video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment